NEWBURGH, NEW YORK
George Washington and his wife, officers, slaves, and servants lived and worked in this fieldstone farmhouse from April 1782 to August 1783. The home was well situated with protection from the Hudson on the east, the forts at West Point to the south and the cantonment at New Windsor to the west.
The house, the residence of Jonathan Hasbrouck, was made Washington’s last military headquarters while America awaited the Paris peace treaty. Out of all the homes that Washington called headquarters, this one was his for the longest time period of any during the war — 18 months. For 12 of these months, his wife Martha lived here also.
Given by David Barclay
November X1 MCMXXIV
During this time, Washington maintained a strong army while planning to disband it. He negotiated with contentious individuals in the Congress and elsewhere and dealt with problems of supply, training, pay and morale affecting his troops. He rejected a suggestion of an American monarchy, defused a potential mutiny among his officers, and proffered advice on the future of the new republic.
The Hasbrouck property, acquired and opened by the State of New York in 1850, was the first publicly operated historic site in the United States. The Hasbrouck House is furnished to reflect Washington’s 18-month stay and is open for guided tours.
As part of the centennial celebration of the end of the American Revolution, an imposing limestone monument was constructed at Newburgh. Above the gates and arches of this "Tower of Victory" are bronze statues of soldiers and officers of the Continental Army, while a life-size statue of Washington is at its center.
There is a scenic view of the Hudson River from the area near the Stone Monument. To the south, you can see the Highlands in the distance with the very strategic crack in the mountains where the river squeezes by West Point.
The Hasbrouck House is open mid-April through Oct., Wed.-Sat. 10 AM - 5 PM and Sun. 1-5 PM. It is also open in February for a three-day celebration of Washington's Birthday over Presidents’ weekend.
On property that once served as an Indian ceremonial ground, the Gomez Mill House, built in 1714 by Lewis Moses Gomez, was continuously occupied for more than 280 years. It was sold to Wolfert Acker before the Revolutionary War, then to William Henry Armstrong, who occupied it for five decades. Dard Hunter, the famous paper maker, also lived here and ended up building a mill. Then, after W.W.II, the Starin family owned it until 1984, when the Gomez Historical Society decided to start restoration.
History compiled by Bethany Johnston, Troop 357, GSA
(Mill House Marker)
Gomez Mill House — The house is the oldest extant Jewish home in North America. It was founded about 1714 as a fur trading post by Luis Moses Gomez, a Sephardic Jew. Gomez later turned it into a very successful mill operation and eventually became one of the richest men in New York.
In 1772, the home was sold to Wolfert Acker, who supported the Patriot’s cause. Many meetings were held at the Mill House by the militia. Acker, a Christian of Dutch ancestry, would read inspirational passages from “his family Bible box” to his guests.
Today, the house and mill area have been restored and are open to visitors.
Rondout Creek, Kingston — The Rondout Harbor is a great place to visit and is recommended for a longer visit to the area. Among the attractions are the Visitor Center, the Maritime Museum and the Rip Van Winkle Cruise Ship.
In October of 1777, local militia fired upon a British ship that had entered Rondout creek and was heading for Rondout Harbor. The British landed and quickly crushed the resistance. From the harbor, they marched west to the Kingston Stockade.
Onto Kingston Stockade
Back to a Revolutionary Day