On his way to Philadelphia, Howe expected that the Tories and British sympathizers in towns like Northeast would roll out the red carpet for the invading British forces. He expected the townspeople to provide supplies and take up arms in support of the British Crown.
Instead, he found the area abandoned. Fields and farms were deserted. No cows. No horses. No people. The only Americans they did meet were the Delaware Militia, which harassed their advance while Washington prepared the Continental Army to meet the British at Brandywine.
About a half-mile down Main Street, a building still stands that was here to greet the British in 1777. It is St. Mary Anne’s Episcopal Church, which was erected in 1742. Watch for the church marker on the right.
St. Mary Anne’s Church North Elk Parish — 1706
The building, erected 1742, is one of the oldest in Cecil County. The cornerstone bears the initials of the rector and vestrymen at that time. Communion vessels, a bible and a book of common prayer presented in 1718 by Queen Anne of England still are used for special services.
Maryland Historical Society (Northeast Marker)
Breakfast in Northeast — Just up the street is Jengerbee’s Restaurant at 508 South Main Street, a great local spot for a quick breakfast.
High-speed railway used by Amtrak between Washington, DC and New York City -- The presence of the railway provides evidence that this area is on a major transportation route. In the 18th century, it was called the King’s Highway. Before that, it was a north-south pathway used by Native Americans. Today, it is not only a major rail route, but also a major highway route. Interstate 95, US Route 1, US Route 40, US Route 301 and, of course, US Route 202 are all nearby.
Back to a Revolutionary Day